Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"The Secret" Phenomenon

Last night I attended a private screening of the "The Secret", an approx. 90 minute film that professes to hold the key to limitless happiness, wealth, health and relationship bliss. It was inspiring and uplifting, and quite well done. The commentators were pursuasive, and I was excited to imagine the endless possibilities it suggested. In a nutshell, the theory behind the secret is that our life is a manifestation of our private thoughts. However we see ourselves, that is how we will be. So if you can convince yourself to feel nothing but happy positive thoughts, and imagine yourself driving a Ferrari and living in a big house, then that, my friends, is your future. Sounds great. I had a little bit of deja' vu and then realized that I had felt the same stirrings after reading "The Purpose driven life" and "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success" by Deepak Chopra. Pre-baby boomers were probably introduced to these concepts in "The Power of Positive Thinking". All of these books contain truth and merit... but they all have the same shortcomings. That is, they sell the value of positive imaging, but fall short on suggestions as to how to achieve it. For instance, as uplifted as I was after seeing the movie, I felt the opposite extreme just getting up this morning. I was just plain in a BAD mood. And as you know, once you are in a bad mood, its just that. A BAD mood. No amount of happy dance and happy talk is going to change it. If anyone ever cracks THAT secret, I'll buy the book, the DVD, The read aloud tapes....

1 comment:

e said...

Interesting post. I am very familar with the Laws of Attraction and "The Secret" movie. I actually found this information online through friends that had been through the RSE school-Ramthas School of Enlightenment. There is a large group of people involved with the positive thinking (new age) style of thought...including D. Chopra. I fully understand what D. is saying regarding the meta-physical aspects and quantum mechanics and being on different vibrational energy paths. Very interesting site is laws-of-attraction.com