Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Fast Food Nation - Warning! Graphic.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I did not watch this entire movie. Just couldn't get through it. If you read the summary on the DVD package, it leads the viewer to believe it is a comedy. This movie is as much a comedy as "The Excorcist". Packed full of disturbing images, sub plots and morbid music, the movie exposes the sub-humane realities of our meat industry. Yes, you will see cows living in misery before they are stunned skinned and gutted, often alive. Portrayed as equally pathetic, are the lives of the illegals who cross the border to work in the slaughter houses. If you do not become a vegetarian after watching, you will never be a vegetarian. NOT a feel good movie. I would recommend this movie to anyone who thinks they are experiencing entirely too much happiness.

5 comments:

Vonster said...

Stop it. I'm gonna cry - NOT!

Remember? Never watch sausage being made. Personally, I belong to People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.

OooRah!

Brick said...

Thanks for this post. I read the book last year and was very disturbed for a long time. I have no desire to see the movie. I suppose there are some things that I'd prefer to conveniently "forget." Despite my disgust, I can't seem to become a vegetarian.

- Brick

Chef Kevin said...

One thing one of my chef friends says "Today, people have no idea where their food comes from. It is all pre-packaged or served on a plate and there is no appreciation". I'm just not speaking of meat either. Get a raspberry torn stuck under a thumb nail or stung by a bee picking strawberries, spending an afternoon hulling a couple bushel baskets of peas or husking corn. Help harvest a 100 acres of corn so you appreciate the flakes that come in a box. (Actual life experiences)

I'm probably one of those "sick" people who would watch this movie and say; "SO?". My grandparents had a farm. They pretty much were self sustaining, which meant we butchered our own chickens, etc. As for mass production of animals, well, I think my early exposure numbed me a bit when I got to see a real slaughterhouse. I'm guessing there is more shock value going on actual repulse value going on.

Scott J said...

Thanks for linking my blog and being a faithful reader. I am putting a link on my blog to you. I love fast food.

Diane Vespa said...

I love your blog.... reminds me of when I was in college
;-)