Monday, May 28, 2007

and you thought your life sucked...

Catching up on the weekends news I couldn't help but read this little snippet of an article in Saturday's Journal Star. The AP reports that at the Brookfield Zoo cicadas are a lot more than just really noisy insects: They're delicious. Tim Sullivan, the Zoo's manager said since the cicadas started coming out of the ground in big numbers the last few days, animals all over the zoo have been seen eating them, often as soon as the cicadas emerge. The only losers are the cicadas themselves. But Sullivan suggested that if they have to go - and they are going to die in about 30 days even if they do avoid being eaten - a zoo is as good a place as any. "Getting eaten by exotic animals is a better way to go than being eaten by a squirrel or a crow," he said. Whew, I feel better!

2 comments:

PeoriaIllinoisan said...

My wife told me about that. I said I had seen the article, but I refuse to read anything more about Cicadas. Double-so if there's a picture accompanying it. Blech!

(she says I'm a weenie)

Diane Vespa said...

ya know I like to think of myself as a lover of all living things but it is hard to muster up any affection for these alien things. And admittedly, I was laughing my butt off reading this. But when it comes right down to it these little things have the most pathetic lives...