Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Somebody please slap me...

Apologies in advance for the triteness of this post, and warn... yes this is yet another post bashing McDonald's. I just can't help myself. A few days ago we stopped at McDonald's for 2 reasons. 1) We were hungry and 2) my son wanted the "Surfs Up" happy meal toy they had been advertising. So I walk up to the counter and ask for a happy meal with hotcakes and orange juice. Reply: "Our breakfast happy meals only come with a sausage biscuit and hash browns". Me: "That sounds gross, can't I sub out an egg McMuffin or hotcakes or something that would only kill a small mouse as opposed to a cow?". Them: "No". So I asked for a copy of their "nutrition facts" flyer, and pointed out that the "happy meal" they proposed packed 590 calories, 40 grams of fat, and ten trillion grams of cholesterol. The "happy meal" that we proposed had 340 calories, 8 grams of fat, and probably only a little cholesterol. Their reply: "NEXT..."

So to get this straight...ya bathe your childs circulatory system in cholesterol and ya get a toy. Hmmmm... tough decision. Felt kind of like a stick-up. Every time we go to McDonald's I swear it will be our last. If anyone sees me there again, please, just slap me!

4 comments:

Floyd said...

If it wasn't for their Coke, I would have no real reason to go to McDonald's. But somehow, their Coke is so much better than anywhere else you can get a fountain drink. Can't help it. I'll get up and leave my place just to go get a McDonald's Coke.

rockstar said...

I haven't been to McDonalds in years. I really have a hard time with their marketing campaign, and how they groom kids to make unhealthy food choices...by starting with the happy meal. I understand that kid's want a toy every once in a while, but I don't believe we we solve the child obesity problem by providing them meat that is genetically mutated. People often wonder why the youth are so tall or larger these days, and the sad truth is the demand for cheap beef and chicken is so high...that farmers put growth hormones in the animals to make them fatter -you are what you eat..they say (its the truth)

Jennifer said...

I have odd kids, neither likes McDonalds, they'd rather have sushi or go to quizno's.
But as a child I always wanted to go to McD... my parents usually said "No" and I never understood how they could not just love McDonalds. As an adult, I totally get it. (But their southwest chicken salad is really good)

Diane Vespa said...

Oh geez, that makes perfect sense. I'm sick to my stomach.