Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

and I ain't talking about Christmas. A complete and total peace has settled over our household. A warm contented feeling of a job well done! We have successfully nurtured the kids through the pre-school years and the first is off to Kinder-garten! Whoo-hoo! Most who know me predicted tears, gut-wrenching sobs, a classic scene of a distressed mother outside her child's classroom. Don't get me wrong, I saw plenty of that-I just wasn't among them. One distressed Mom looked at me with her tear-streaked face and commented "It's tough isn't it?" Me: "Uh, no". I mean seriously, consider the alternative. Our family and friends have seen plenty of tough situations over the past few years - prematurity, childhood cancer, autism. So much that I'm just not going to mourn my kid going off to K-garten. Instead, I'll experience this milestone with the joy and celebration that it deserves! And if at some point over the next week or two a lump develops in my throat, I'll just lift my lower leg, bend it at the knee, and kick myself hard in the a**!

2 comments:

Kevin Lowe said...

I have no kids, but I too appreciate this time of year. Get those children out of the house (in front of the X-Box, or whatever), off the streets (playing catch in my front yard), and back into school! Parents must rejoice at the idea of a little more "me" time. I'd also think the kids would look forward to a world of new experiences (or is that just the idealistic adult in me speaking?).

Debbie Gizzi said...

I'm with you on that viewpoint. It's fun to see them involved in school. Whether they admit it or not, they are happier when more structure exists.