Thursday, August 9, 2007

To kill a cricket....

I love all living things. Always have. In addition to the standard fuzzy pets such as cats, dogs and rabbits, when I was a kid I had iguana's, chameleons, frogs, turtles, snakes... plus a myriad of other species that have mercifully faded from my memory. Last January when we discovered the telltale signs of mouse biology in our basement, I insisted on live trapping them, and driving 3 miles in to the country to let them go.

I am now faced with a terrible moral dilemma that is threatening the very foundation of my sanity. A cricket has taken up residence in our bedroom. And he does quite proficiently what crickets do. He sings. All night. Starting at 1:00a.m. And this one ain't no Mariah Cary. You know how you can hear crickets sing through a closed bedroom window even with the fan on? There is a reason for that. They are LOUD. Very LOUD. So I sleepily get out of bed and walk in the direction of the cricket noise. And the damn thing shuts up. So I start moving furniture, books, blankets, anything I can get my hands on that is coming from the direction of Mr. Cricket. No cricket. Cunning little shit.

Now, I remember this happened to me once back in college. At that time, I was so frustrated with the situation I finally resorted to the can of Raid and started spraying. Big mistake. For the next 2 nights I was subjected to the weak pathetic songs of a dying cricket. I had been so filled with remorse that had I been able to find him I would have taken him to the vet. So, no, not going to fall in to that trap this time. I'll just pick up my pillows and blanket, and move to the sofa until such time that nature takes its course and that cricket dies a natural death. Anyone know the approximate life span of a cricket?

9 comments:

East Bluff Barbie said...

My neighbor hates crickets and every year they seem to make their way into his house. Last year his cat was chasing one and he watched it wiggle its way behing his baseboard. They are elusive little guys. Hopefully your will go on its merry little way.

Katie said...

I was cracking up at your cricket issue last night and told boyfriend about it.

Then I got up this morning and I have a cricket in my bathroom. I tried to get the dog to deal with it, but she wasn't having it. Grr!

Diane Vespa said...

Yup, our Mr. Cricket is still going strong, although I think he is morphing into an alto from a soprano. Yesterday it crossed my mind to put a pan of water out for him. Then I got hold of myself. It seems no matter what the circumstances I can't resist the urge to nurture.

Kevin Lowe said...

The lifespan of a cricket is a lot shorter when you have a couple of cats in the house. Evey year, I have to look away as the kitties "play" with their little cricket friends. Oh, the humanity!

Diane Vespa said...

I am sad to report the demise of Mr. cricket. I am pretty choked up about it. I can not say how it happened so as not to incriminate the guilty, but suffice it to say it was NOT the natural death I had anticipated. ;-(

My Flock Rocks! said...

I don't know about the life span of a cricket, but I do know the life span of my clothes once they get in and start chewing on my wardrobe... RAID!

reno said...

Nice haha, I think this is a sentiment/story shared by all.

Grandma's Attic said...

Yes, indeed, Reno. We get about 10 per year and they make it through the backdoor, up and down the stairwell, and eventually into just about every room. Last night I heard a few in the basement as I was doing laundry, then one appeared belly-up on the kitchen floor last night. Sorry, I have no sympathy for crickets anymore. Let the cats have them!

texasgaltech said...

It's late and I just cannot hang long enough to read the posts. Albeit, to say that I love crickets, too. The Orientals have long kept them as pets in little cages.

However, you need to know that crickets often drown in even shallow dishes of water. go to your local pet store (Petco, etc.) and get cricket water. yes, cricket water. it is a gelatinous mass the holds water and allows the cricket to sip from it.

Keep loving all things!

Regards,
texasgaltech