Friday, August 31, 2007

What do I need to do to get a little windshield washer solvent around here?

Well now that I have finally stepped down from my soap box over the bus fiasco, I am ready to move on to the next community service project; service stations. More specifically, service stations that do not regularly maintain their windshield washer solvent containers. Those stations that lack regular maintenance in that department should not legally be allowed to refer to themselves as "service stations" but rather just stations. It was one thing when you could fill your tank for $20 bucks. But now that one must literally hemorrhage dollar bills for a fill-up we better damn well get 25 cents worth of solvent.

Case in point: Marathon Station, today, corner of University and Northmoor. The entire front of my car is a curtain of bugs from our last minute sprint to Chicago to see the Oprah Winfrey show. I have about 4.2 minutes to dash to my first appointment. Of course, no solvent. Why is this just never an emergency to them?? So I stomp in and announce there is no windshield solvent in any of the bins. The attendant treated it with the degree of urgency that it merited, and grudgingly hauled out a bucket of diluted solvent. God forbid they waste an entire 99 cent container of solvent in one pop. The attendant looks in the bin, sees that there is still 1/2" of water remaining in there and states "You said it was empty"! Me: It is empty, thats not solvent, that is fly soup. Have you ever got a whiff of that stuff when it gets down to the end? I swear you can smell it whafing in to the car from the A/C vents.

I would just love it if one the Peoria portals (peoria.com?) could set up a forum where citizens can share information on the status of the local windshield washer solvent dispensers. I'll bet they would get some HUGE page counts on that one.

7 comments:

Peoria.com said...

"if one the Peoria portals could set up a forum where citizens can share information on the status of the local windshield washer solvent dispensers."

I'm on it!! :)

Diane Vespa said...

You're the bestest!!!

Kevin Lowe said...

I share your concern. I was thinking the very same thing last week. I don't understand the difficulty of maintaining windshield solution.

Peoria AntiPundit said...

You must be prized when businesses and the school district sees you coming. I'l never set foot in Kroger's or Bar Louie's again.

Washer fluid? Get a grip, my car has a built in washer. I guess it was an option. If it doesn't work, then a trip to any spray wash or Red Carpet works well. What do you expect from a minimum wage worker at a slug service station?

Peoria AntiPundit said...

Foot in mouth again.....oops

big rog said...

The worst thing is when that stuff in the washer thingy smells like rotten eggs and you drip a little on you, you really feel like getting a grip then, a really tight grip around the attendants neck. Diane try this out it work wonders on the bugs as well as the road oil film that gets on the windshield and seems impossible to get off, put a little squirt of dawn dish soap in your washer fluid tank everytime you fill it.

Diane Vespa said...

thanks for the tip, Big Rog. I'll give that a whirl!!