Sunday, October 28, 2007

Attention all Animal Lovers...

Well we are trying to get our life back in order after laying our little Sofie to rest. The kids are still trying to grasp the lack of her presence but we are moving on. Thank you to everyone who expressed their sympathy and support. It is so comforting to know what dear friends we have in Peoria.

It seems that after any significant loss, the human mind searches for meaning, and longs to make some kind of sense of it all. Last week I opened my heart and mind to the possibilities as to how we can find beauty in something so sad.

One opportunity presented itself when last night at a Halloween party we re-connected with some old friends, some of whom are affiliated with PAWS. The party is a blog post in itself which I will address later with photos!!

I shared some interesting moments with Bill, who along with Lauren Malmberg, shares the significant task of controlling Peoria's unwanted pet over-population down at the shelter. Anyone who loves animals would be moved by some of Bill's words, but that is not the purpose of this post.

Bill, of course, who is forced to oversee the euthanasia of thousands of homeless animals, had a very practical suggestion for me regarding resolving our grief. Two little fluff-balls of one year old sibling Peke-mixes, down at the shelter and available right now to the right family. Now in my heart of hearts, although this is such a tempting tale (pun intended), I feel these are not destined to be our dogs. It's just too soon. But he just raved about how adorable and sweet natured these 2 little guys are. Their photos and stats will soon be on-line.

Several years ago when I volunteered at the shelter, the average dog had a window of opportunity for adoption of approximately 10 days before it would have to be euthanized to make room for more incoming. My guess is that has not changed significantly. I disclose this not for the sympathy vote, but to inform the reader of the extent of the problem here in Peoria, and further, to offer food for thought if one ever becomes tempted to "purchase" a puppy.

Bill also shared with me that PAWS now posts all of its pets available for adoption on the national website petharbor.com. Of course, I had to check it out immediately, and it is a very useful and user-friendly site. In addition to finding your ideal pet, you can post and search for a lost one. My comments above should serve as an indicator of the need for expediency if you see one that "calls your name"!

Please check it out, and next time you get the urge to share your bed with a furry critter, visit www.petharbor.com.

2 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

I looked at all the puppies up for adoptions and it's so tempting! I wish I could adopt them all~ Thanks for sharing that website...I will pass it on to everybody I know looking for a puppy. :)

Lola Takes Pictures said...

Diane, I'm sorry about the loss of your little dog. My heart goes out to you.

Good for you, too, for adopting from the Animal Shelter. I did a photodocumentary on our NM Animal Shelter earlier this year and was very touched by the animals but moreso by the people who work there.

These workers and volunteers genuinely care for every single animal that comes into the shelter and are heartbroken whenever they have to be put down. It's a tough, tough job to have and a few of the workers I talked to were on anti-depressants or in counseling. Those people are truly my heroes.