Sunday, October 28, 2007

I love a flea market!




So today I'm talkin with my homies over on Peoria.com, and it seems a bunch of us took a trip out to the Expo Gardens flea market today. We did a little note comparing and I must say with as much humility as I can muster - I think I got the best "fleas". Ha. Case in point. Check out this ice bucket. They called it "Cubist". No my friends, this is a Fostoria American ice bucket with a rare handle, market value: $80. My price: $12.

Then we have this lovely antique crystal etched lamp with dangling prisms and a hurricane lamp, circa 1930's. (above center). Seller had an appraisal indicating value of over $300. I believe it.. this lamp is awesome! My price- $55.00!

And last but not least check out this old aluminum beverage set. (top) Am I giving away my age when I admit to recalling drinking from a set like this at my Gramma's house? Their price $10; My price $7. Fair market value: Priceless!

6 comments:

Kevin Lowe said...

Flea markets can be a lot of fun. You can find some great deals. Of course, I'd be preoccupied looking for guitars and unique audio equipment. But, that's just me . . .

My Flock Rocks! said...

What great finds! I also have the vintage aluminum tumblers that I got at a garage sale...they are such a blast from the past I just had to have them! The hurricane lamp and the ice bucket is gorgeous! Now I wish we had gone to the flea market instead of staying at home watching Da Bears lose! :)

East Bluff Barbie said...

I love to go "treasure" shopping as my kids call it. I love finding the unique items. You can also get great finds at estate sales.

Diane Vespa said...

I've been to a few estate sales, but don't enjoy them as much. Too much of a rat-race and the people in general are just a little ruder. It seems the same "regulars" snap up all the good stuff before anyone else gets a chance too. Although if I see one in my neighborhood I just might mosie on in.

East Bluff Barbie said...

My mother-in-law got a huge set of blue willow dishes (she collects them)at an estate sale. It had complete service for 12 and a few platters and serving bowls and only paid $45!

Jeep2000 said...

It's funny so many peoria.com members were there this weekend!
Great minds think alike, I guess.