Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Runnin on empty...

Once the price of a gallon of gas goes over $3.00, I find myself in denial that gas prices are really that high. To find comfort, I just fill the tank half full. That way, it still just costs about 25 bucks to fill up.

The unfortunate consequence of this mindless reasoning is that the little orange "empty tank" light is glowing way too often. In fact, so often, that I fear I'll forget its there. So today, as I'm driving my daughter to pre-school, I notice that light glowing and start wondering how long its been on. Not that knowing would really make much difference, because I have no idea how much longer one can drive AFTER it comes on.

Then, what happens when it really, truly hits empty? Does it just kind of cough, sputter and die, or does an alarm sound allowing the driver one more mile to take evasive action? Does some eerie electronic voice behind the dashboard sound the word "idiot" right before system failure?

Lately, these questions have been really plaguing me. So much, in fact, that I've been contemplating driving around an empty parking lot on an empty glow light until the tanks last dying breath. Just so I don't have to wonder anymore!

3 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

I think it will start beeping...final warning! You better find a gas station quick! Your manual should tell if it does or not. Our car has a thing that tells you exactly how many more miles you have until you get stranded...I have found out...Gas stations do not deliver!

Anonymous said...

Just don't forget to have a gas can in your truck for when you run out.

Jennifer said...

Oh, I've run out before. Somehow I thought the little errands I was running in our neighborhood didn't count (kind of like the calories you eat while making dinner don't) and ran out of gas a block from our house. This was when we lived in CA and I didn't have any friends to call and rescue me.

The RAV didn't make any noise or stutter, it just stopped accelerating (my foot was on the gas), so I had to coast to the nearest curb... Ugh.

It was pretty embarrassing to call my husband at work (30 miles away) and say, honey, I ran out of gas within sight of our house....