Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My favorite Photog!


When this blog came on the scene a year or so again, I had a hunch the author was pretty special. Her definition of herself as a "hispanic chick" peaked my interest as our daughter was born in Guatmela, and I have always had a thing for Latin American culture.

I started watching this gal and her site, and learned to appreciate the color, focus and artistry she put into each of her photographs. She can take something so simple and make it look so special.

Shortly thereafter "Lily" became a regular poster on peoria.com and I had the opportunity to meet her at a forum event. She has become one of my best buds!

When the New Year rolled around and I realized it was time to update my Poodle photo (I HATE that pic- see sidebar), I naturally thought of her. I sent her a quick e-mail asking if she could take some candid business photos for me, and true to her helpful nature she replied "sure"! She gave me one caveat - she rarely photographed people. So I just advised her to think of my head as a pumpkin, and we made our plans.

Our session was at a lovely home I have for sale, and Lily quickly went to work on the camera set-up and lighting. When it came time to take the pics, I plastered on my best photog smile and - Lily looked at me with disgust. "Diane if that isn't the cheesiest smile I have ever seen!" "Well so sorry, Lily, but haven't you ever seen the "Friends" episode where Monica and Chandler are having their engagement photo taken and Chandler simply cannot smile naturally? Well some people are that way and I'm one of them!"

So Lily cleverly asked me to tell her something funny that happened recently. OMG, I had the perfect story. I proceeded to tell her how Dh was loving up to these new dogs in our home, and the unnuetered male dog got just a little too happy about it if you catch my drift. I was laughing so hard I was crying. And Lily was just a-snapping away! Needless to say, we got the pics, and if I ever need a pic of myself crying to boot - I'm set!

6 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

Nice picture! I guess you don't want to use any of the pictures I took of you? LOL!

And Lily, you did a great job!

Jonathan Ahl said...

Lily is awesome. She did some work with us (WCBU) and is fun, talented, and great to work with. It doesn't surprise me she brings the same amount of professionalism, energy, and fun to her photo work as she does to her radio work.

We (WCBU) are looking forward to working with her againg.

Great picture and story.

newsanchormom.com said...

I do a series every year on adoption and am wondering if you adopted your daughter from Guatemala. I just interviewed a sweet couple who adopted a little girl from there. I love to hear adoption stories. It is so important that these kids find good homes.

Diane Vespa said...

Yes, Jen, we brought our daughter home in July of 2003 when she was 6 months old. She is our dream come true! Thanks for the comments.

newsanchormom.com said...

Congratualtions! I know there are a few families in the area who are adopting from Guatemala right now and are worried about the Hague Treaty. They may have to wait until April. That has to be disappointing.

Diane Vespa said...

Yes, the Guatemalan program is in jeopardy right now and adoptions will most likely close soon. We can only hope that the families that already have a referral in process will bring those children home soon. This has been in the works for several years now. A very sad state of affairs for a country with extreme poverty, and no government system in place to care for orphaned children. Just the thought of it makes me hold my daughter a little tighter at bedtime.