Friday, January 18, 2008

Politics: What's a family?


At the risk of appearing like an irresponsible voter, I will admit I did not watch the 18th Congressional District Candidate debates last week. For one thing, I have the attention span of a gnat and secondly, I feel they would all do a great job so don't feel compelled to vote against any of them. I did, however, see snippets of the debate later on the news...which made me feel glad I didn't watch it in its entirety. It would have only annoyed me. Apparently, Morriss and McConoughy have suggested that Schock might not be up to the task of representing families because he does not have a wife and 1.7 kids. Personally, I find that offensive.

Is a single woman with a child and no husband a family? Is a couple without children a family? Is a couple with adopted children and no biological children a family? And if they are considered a family by these two candidates, do they meet the criteria necessary to make good decisions?

I was 40 before I was happily married and had my first of two children. In the interim, I owned a business, relocated 1000's of families throughout central Illinois, and served on numerous boards and civic associations in our community. Did being married and having children change me? You betcha. Would it have substantially changed any decisions I made in my professional career on the behalf of others? I don't think so. Those decisions are based upon a set of values and ethics that have been cultivated through effective parenting and personal integrity. They are not attributes that magically appear upon the birth of your first child - although I will concede at that point you do start paying attention to school districts!

In the Christmas card photo shown above, you see a smiling Aaron surrounded by a lot of people that look just like him, heh, heh... that obviously love, support, and cherish him. If that isn't a family, I don't know what is.

4 comments:

Peoria AntiPundit said...

Your over 40?

Diane Vespa said...

Hey Em - remind me to buy you a few beers at the next blogger bash ;)

Peoria AntiPundit said...

:)

Peoria Pundit said...

Schock gets a ton of grief about how he doesn't have a family, and sometimes not so subtly questioning why.

I am older than schock my almost two decades. I an unmarried and have no children. I have a LARGE and mostly caring family. My nieces and nephews get doted on as much as i am able.

And no, I am NOT gay, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Feh. What A stupid reason to vote or not vote for someone.