Thursday, February 14, 2008

Holy Moses! I'm raising a Democrat.

Our 6 year old son is in the curiosity stage. He feels the need to understand everything! So last week when he heard me hollering at the Fox News Channel as I often do he wanted to know what all the ruckus was about.

I explained to him that we were currently in the process of electing our next president and I was very interested in the outcome. "Who is winning?" he asked. I told him it was a tie between 3 people and we wouldn't know for a very long time. "Who do we want to win?" It was such an innocent and appealing question, that I decided to play a little devil's advocate. "Well", I explained, "there are 2 teams. The Republicans and The Democrats. The Republicans believe that you work hard, try to make a lot of money, and keep it all to yourself. The Democrats believe that the people that make the most money should share some of it with the people that don't have a lot of money. Our family is Republican. Who do you think is right?"

He thought for a moment, and then replied sheepishly "The one we aren't Mommy". I have to admit, I felt a little proud of him at that moment.

Later I asked him to bring me his Pokemon collection. He owns about 25 of those crazy looking things. I took 5 from his collection. He looked at me, puzzled. Me: "I'm giving these to a little boy who doesn't have any". Him: "But Mommy those are mine"! I say: "Now you know how a Republican feels." Heh heh.

9 comments:

Peoria AntiPundit said...

Yeah but a true republican would have had the little pokemon's laid off and moved their place of work overseas so they could buy more cheaper. That is how a democratic family feels.

Diane Vespa said...

Uh, got it, Anti-P. I'll save that for the next lesson! ;)

Anonymous said...

" The Republicans believe that you work hard, try to make a lot of money, and keep it all to yourself. The Democrats believe that the people that make the most money should share some of it with the people that don't have a lot of money. Our family is Republican. Who do you think is right?"

I know he's 6, but that's the best you can do? AND that's how you see the two parties? Seriously?!!

-Hilary Arnold

Diane Vespa said...

I'm always open for suggestion...

Thanks for the comment!

Diane Vespa said...

....and I sure wouldn't tell him that there is such a thing as abortion! Wow. Try to explain that one!

Jennifer said...

Hmm... I think the fallacy in your description is in the description of Republicans, in reference to money: "keep it all to yourself." When was the last time we actually had a fiscally conservative Republican in office? Most of the current ones seem more socially conservative.... Of course, the "trickle down" theory might be hard to explain to a little one!

Nomer said...

heh heh!

Anonymous said...

What is that saying? "Don't talk about religion or politics at dinner parties." I guess that goes for blogs too. Sheesh.
I mean relax, guys, the kid is six.

Anonymous said...

What is the old saying.
If you are not a Democrat when you are young then you have no heart, If you are not a republican when you get older then you have no brain.