Sunday, April 6, 2008

Political correctness - Kindergarten style.

Being a Super-Mom, I took the kids to Culver's for dinner tonight. While there, we ran into an old friend we hadn't seen in years. In fact, our daughters were babies last time we were together, and today she was there with her daughter, now five years old.

We visited a moment, said our farewells and sat down to some scrumptious butter burgers. I could tell my son, Jim, had something on his mind. Knowing that comments about weight and the personal characteristics of others are usually off limits, he struggled to find the right words to describe the rather healthy sized little girl. Finally, his light-bulb moment...

"Mommy, if Jenniffer and that little girl were on a see-saw at the same time, Jenniffer would be on the bottom".

You know, as adults, we could all learn a lesson in diplomacy from our children!

5 comments:

Michael said...

We are all different in some way or another ... I wish we could simply be blind to those differences. At least more than we are. Very young children are often blind in that way until we teach them to see.

newsanchormom.com said...

It is hard to balance teaching your kids not to overeat, with the obesity crisis. When you do inform them that there are health risks to being overweight, how do you prevent them from judging others? That's a tough one! I certainly don't want my kids to ignore the problem or judge others.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't the heavier girl be on the bottom of the see-saw? Therefore, your daughter would be the one in the air?

Michael said...

It is hard to balance I agree. I think it is a societal problem in that we often threaten the outcome we fear most. I am also concerned about the kids who are undernourished because parents wish to keep them thin. Etc. I guess that's why I used the word "wish" and also why I mention it at all. I think we unconsciously imprint our ideals and prejudices upon our children by how we frame our discussions. I would also suggest that little Jim learned his diplomacy in much the same way.

Diane Vespa said...

Gosh, Anon, you are right. Either he didn't think it correctly (being 6) or his 40-something Mom didn't recall it correctly. Probably the latter! Thanks for your observations! ha ha!