Monday, July 28, 2008

Bush Mania - updated with video







Just taking a moment to post some of my fav pics from the Bush/Schock fundraising event today. It was phenomenal! Standing room only crowd of over 1400 people in a lovely air-conditioned tent about the size of a football field out at Weaver Farm.

Aaron Schock and the President were introduced at the same time and walked on stage together. I can't imagine that young man has ever had a more exciting moment in his life. The Presidents demeanor was very folksy, at times quite passionate, and every word he uttered had the crowd riveted. He spoke of the economy, international relations, his daughter's wedding, and of course, the candidacy of Aaron Schock and John McCain! He quipped that, after meeting the extensive Schock family, Aaron just needs to make sure they all vote and he'll be a "shoe in".

Lee Greenwood performed for almost an hour before the President's appearance, and sang his classic hit "I'm proud to be an American" immediately upon the President's departure. Oh, be still my beating heart.

We had great seats since I booked so late that there wasn't table space left. No problem, we just pulled a few chairs up next to the stage and that is how I got the awesome pics!

A big thank you to HOI News and Peoria Illinoisan for providing the following video clips:

HOI 5:00pm NEWS Coverage


HOI 10:00PM News Coverage



President Bush was a real sport. As you can see in these photos, he waved as I was taking photos, and then afterwards, worked his way over in my direction and asked "where is my friend over here"? Referring to me! I swear!

The secret service presence was quite intimidating. When I slipped out for my restroom break SWAT teams were all over the place. Not a good time to make any sudden moves or do anything cute-sy, so I moved v-e-w-y deliberately to and from my seat.

Funniest moment was when I had to pee, and the dang secret service wouldn't let me pee. Finally, I had no choice and told the guy if necessary I'd pee right in front of him and he relented. Whew.

Jen interviewed me after the event and asked if it was worth it. Absolutely, I told her. Every penny.

30 comments:

deebie47 said...

Sounds like a lavish event, too bad George Bush was there!

Knight in Dragonland said...

Blech.

Diane Vespa said...

A little Mucinex will help you with that phlegm problem, Knight. ;)

Anonymous said...

way to break the rule of not posting pictures on the internet.

mizzouman_2000 said...

Pretty good photos! You must have had a good teacher. ;)

Raising my kids RIGHT said...

Sounds like it was a great event.

zoro said...

...and thus is Aaron Schock's candidacy brought to an end.

Diane Vespa said...

in your dreams maybe. ;)

Billy Dennis said...

Sounds like you had a great time. By most accounts, Bush is a likable guy. With the exception of Richard Nixon, you can't really succeed as a politician unless people like you. And despite what I think about his performance in office, Bush is a bright person, and it comes out in person.

newsanchormom.com said...

When I talked to Washington, I was told still pictures were fine to take and they didn't say anything to me about not posting them on the internet. Diane got some great shots. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Diane Vespa said...

Thanks for the clarification Jen. I didn't know what Anonymous was talking about.

Knight in Dragonland said...

My phlegm problem will end on January 20, 2009. Until then ... blech.

Anonymous said...

They announced at the event no pictures were to be taken to be posted on the internet and leaked to the media...


Councilman Turner made the announcement.

Diane Vespa said...

I wasn't there yet. Dang it. They shoulda sent a memo. ;)

sysman said...

I heard Pres Bush ask "so, is that the pain in the a** that won't lay off D150?"

Diane Vespa said...

Ha ha, Matt, you are too funny. As a matter of fact I was hoping he would open it up for questions from the audience and I was going to ask him what he thought about Wacky Wednesday's!

Anonymous said...

Eric Turner announced that no videotaping would be permitted but still photos were absolutely permitted. He mentioned NOTHING about posting or not posting photos on the net.

He also did a great job as M.C.

Paul Sullivan said...

Did "W" wink at you because he just announced the new Bush Doctrine "No Child Left Behind after 2:30 on Wednesdays"

Anonymous said...

Wow. In one breath you bemoan the state of public education in your town and with the other you wave your ability to drop $500 for a shishkabob in the face of those for whom you purport to advocate. And if the fact you do it isn't bad enough, you broadcast it for all to see. The Emperor really wears no clothes.

Diane Vespa said...

Whu? Sorry, don't get the connection here at all, but, whatever. Thanks for the input.

Anonymous said...

Looking for a friendly (Conservative) voice---

I called you a couple of weeks ago to talk about Dist. 150. I love the Bush pics on your blog. I also love the ignorant comments left by all these libs who think
they know best. They don't "get" how politics works.


I wonder what the President would have to say about W.W.'s. I think No Child Left Behind was begun with
good intentions. Until the libs in Chicago and wherever else got hold of things.

I'm disgusted by a few of the ignorant people on the blog sites. Journal Star, too. Did you read the letter by the woman complaining that she didn't get a
stimulus check? Do these people not get that it's just a rebate of the money that we EARNED in the first place, and was stolen from us by our Liberal Government? AHHH!

That's for starters....

I'm seething from all the
stuff I read in the PJS website, and on the blogs. Thanks for reading.

Let's see if we can't get this Wacky Wednesday thing reversed before we have little kids (not to mention the big ones) roaming the streets every Wed. afternoon.

Keep up the good work!

Diane Vespa said...

Anon - I am beginning to realize that there are a lot more liberal thinkers on the blogs than conservative. But based on the turnout and enthusiasm at the George W. Bush/Schock fundraising event, I would say conservatism is alive and well here in Central Illinois!

I do however, enjoy the liberal point of view, as it has its valid points. Its just that the hostility often diffuses the message so I have a hard time "hearing".

Thank you for your support and comments. Call me anytime!

Michael Davis said...

As a musician and songwriter, I have to clarify that Lee Greenwood's hit is actually entitled "God Bless The USA."

i do not know me said...

Anon #4,

Stop calling it public education or public schools. Call it what it is: government education and they are government schools. I am very comfortable "bemoaning" the state (and even the existence) of government schools no matter where I might choose to spend my money.

Anonymous said...

Diane;

You rock!

I saw you interviewed on television at the President Bush luncheon and as always -

GREAT JOB, girl.

Think of you leading the way on the D150 school day issues everytime the topic comes up, therefore;

I think of you often.

You looked good on tv!

Take Care

C

Diane Vespa said...

Here is an interesting related article:
http://reddot62.blogspot.com/2008/07/shocka-local-libs-silent-on-obama.html

Raising my kids RIGHT said...

Why thank you!

Anonymous said...

24% approval rating. Must have been some event. Afterwards Schock was so tired he took a month off. He sure is sure of himself.

Anonymous said...

24% approval rating. Must have been some event. Afterwards Schock was so tired he took a month off. He sure is sure of himself.

Anonymous said...

24% approval rating. Must have been some event. Afterwards Schock was so tired he took a month off. He sure is sure of himself.