Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gas prices killing ya? Find a "walkable" neighborhood

Here is a cool website that lets you rate the "walkability" factor of any neighborhood. The site uses an algorythm to calculate the distance of a specific residence to amenities such as grocery stores, schools, parks, churches, etc. Then it scores the "walkability" from 1 - 100.

Our personal residence didn't fare so well. We scored a 26 out of 100. Geesh. No wonder we just broke down and bought a Honda Civic. On the other hand, I plugged in my Mother-in-Laws former residence on Willow Lane by Sheridan Village, and it scored a 76, or "very walkable".

The website goes on to rate some of the highest rated walkable neighborhoods in the country. There are quite a few around Chicago, and New York City scored very high on the walkability scale as well.

This will be a great tool to promote some of my more "walk-able" listings. On the other hand if the home doesn't score that well, well, we'll just fughetaboudit.

3 comments:

septboy said...

my neighborhood got a 57. I found it interesting that it pointed to a couple home based business. Then again it also put Borders where Rosewood Care Center is and didn't identify Richwoods HS

Billy Dennis said...

The Randolph-Roanoke neighborhood makes for pleasant walks. But there is a lack of nearby mom-and-pop merchants gives me no reason to NOT use my car, unless I want to talk to Main Street Liquors for a fifth ...

i do not know me said...

My address rated a 9! I noticed though that it calculates distances as the crow flies rather than as the human would walk so my score should be even lower.