Friday, September 5, 2008

Blogger meet up in Springfield... compliments of Illinois Bureau of Tourism


I recieved this info from the Illinois Bureau of Tourism in a comment to one of my posts...

Mark your calendars (and leave me a comment so I can get you on the list) to join us in celebrating the great state of Illinois in Springfield on September 13th from 10:30 – 3:30 p.m.
With the presidential elections upon us this fall you can Blaze Your Own Trail by joining us to experience Illinois’ unique tie to presidential history and culture, as well as the popular fall events, scenic drives and agritourism opportunities provided to travelers this season.

Below you will find the itinerary details for you and your family to enjoy at the Blaze Your Own Trail event.
Saturday September 13th, 2008

10:00 am Welcoming remarks at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum from State Historian Tom Schwartz. Enjoy the museum at your own pace, with Mr. Schwartz on hand to answer questions.

11:45 am Brief Springfield Trolley tour of the downtown area

12:00 pm Hosted lunch at the Pizza Machine RestaurantAfter lunch we have setup three different options to choose so that you can pick what is most interesting to you!

*Option 1
1:45 pm Visit Lincoln Home National Historic Site
2:30 pm Visit Lincoln Herndon Law Office(Visit the Old State Capitol (where Obama announced his campaign and his VP) if time is permitted!)

*Option 2
1:45 pm Visit the State Museum (this is the option I'm picking)
2:30 pm Visit the Dana Thomas House (the governor is closing this historic site)

*Option 3
1:45 pm Lincoln History Walk
From here we will reconvene at Peases Candy at the end of the day, where you and your family can enjoy everything the city of Springfield has to offer on your own!


The full blog post can be read here

Turns out, this seems like a pretty sweet deal. They are providing a complimentary hotel stay for our family here. I guess I can't vouch that that is being offered to all bloggers or I just caught her on a good day, but suffice it to say we are very much looking forward to an educational and fun visit to Springfield next weekend. If anyone else from the Peoria area registers please let me know and we can caravan.

All bloggers are welcome...shoot an e-mail to Carla.Dabis@edelman.com

7 comments:

Pammy said...

Diane, I've received two email/invites to this...I assumed it was some kinda scam, so I pitched 'em. Hope it turns out to be a good time.

Diane Vespa said...

Pammy - I checked it out. It's legit and I don't think its too late to sign up. Think about it. We'd have a blast!

Raoul Duke said...

Blogger time share

Diane Vespa said...

uhhh- ok.

PeoriaIlliniosan said...

My email had this line "let you experience why Illinois is a premier fall destination."

While I don't think it's a scam of any sort, I don't want to be used as a tool to promote tourism. I think it's quite a clever idea on behalf of the Dept of Tourism; just not for me.

If you get a chance, go to Lincoln's grave. You won't regret it.

Diane Vespa said...

I figure I've been used as a tool in worse ways! Lol!

Springfield Photos said...

You're welcome to view some of my photos from the Illinois Blogger adventure.

Springfield Blogger's Excellent Adventure...part 1
http://springfieldphotos.blogspot.com/2008/09/springfield-bloggers-excellent.html

http://springfieldphotos.blogspot.com