Sunday, October 12, 2008

Crodseth heads off the beaten path in Baltimore...

A big thank you to Crodseth for his "guest blogger" post. It will be a tough act to follow but c'mon - ya gotta try!

First of all, I’d like to thank Diane at Peoria Rocks for this opportunity. Normally, I’m ranting and whining on my own blog, Get The Stink Off, but this is my very first guest blogging experience… very exciting. The pressure to come up with something good is intense. Whew. Just breathe. Breathe in….breathe out. Imagine your audience naked, it will help you relax.

Ewwww…gross. Hairy fat guy down front, put something on, will ya?

Anyways, as I was saying. Today is an unusual day because I flew into Baltimore (and no, my arms aren’t tired). I come here two, sometimes three times a year on business. Normally I don’t venture around too much, I just drive to and from work and get delivery all week. Well this week I decided to do something different. I immediately decided that I wanted to try some local cuisine. After searching for hours, I finally found this out of the way little pizza joint. You’ve probably never heard of it.



The place is called Papa John’s. I’m pretty sure Baltimore is the only place you can get this pizza, and let me tell you, it’s fabulous. I talked with John Jr., the owner of the place. He was doing the baking tonight as his regular cook called in sick. John Jr. told me he’s been in business for about 25 years. Prior to John Jr. taking over the reins, John Sr. had been running the joint for almost 40 years. You can’t get this kind of history just any old place. After I gorged on their pizza for awhile, I decided to find myself a nice, out of the way pub, to see if I can sample some local micro-brewed beer. I searched through the downtown area, through the north end of town, and finally found a great local micro-brewery near the harbor area.

The micro-brewery makes and sells their own beer called Miller Lite. It’s a local beer made in Baltimore by a man and his two sons. They told me they just make the beer as a hobby, they don’t really make any money on it, and that they only make about 50 cases of beer a year. I understood, but mentioned that with mass production, they could take their product global.



Ummmm….ok, you caught me. I’ve been flying all day and I just landed in Baltimore. I’m tired and cranky and I just wanted some grub and a couple beers. I do have plans to get some local cuisine….in a couple days, but for now regular old stuff will suffice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phillips' Buffet. Go for it!

HeatherPride said...

Isn't that the way it always goes? I always intend to try out the local fare, and end up at stupid Applebees!

stairat said...

That reminds me of the time I ate at McDonalds in Disney World. All those places to choose from, and I pick McDonalds!