Friday, November 7, 2008

An ancient maternal ritual

Today while waiting for the little Christmas train to stop at Northwoods Mall, I noticed my daughter was wiggling the crap out of her lower front loose tooth. She had made considerable progress on it throughout the day and that sucker was hanging on by its last little thread.

I asked her if I could feel it, and as I did so, was overcome by some strange mystical force. Just like my Mom did for me, as generations had done before her, I grabbed hold of that little tooth, estimated just the right amount of leverage and YANKED. Mercifully, it cooperated and out came her first little tooth.

I shudder to think how horrible it would have been had I yanked and it not come out. As Moms, we all face that moment of truth - to yank, or not to yank. Thankfully, our first experience was a good one. Time will tell if she will ever let me near her mouth again, but tonight, we have a little girl who can't wait to wake up in the morning after a long anticipated visit from the tooth fairy.

5 comments:

Christi said...

Oh yeah.. after that, the tooth fairy had better leave the five spot. LOL

Ch Yah said...

That's such a cute pic, could she be any prouder?

Jennifer said...

Awww, what a cutie!

BTW, I never yanked one out, I am too wimpy!

(Oh, and what's with all the tooth fairy stories right now? Notes from the trailorhood, me, and now you, all writing about the tooth fairy!)

Anonymous said...

And all those times you said, "I will NEVER be like our MOTHER!" (lol) Now, if I EVER see you lick your hand and wipe Jenniffer's face, I will have to intervene....

KLS

Diane Vespa said...

OMG! Too late! I already have! Aggghhhhhhhh!