Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Peoria honors its veterans

One week ago was Veteran's Day, and in our book, it is a day like no other. It is the day we honor the bravest and most selfless of American's - The hero's that have fought for our freedom - our Veterans. Fortunately, the kids had the day off school which offered plenty of oppportunity to demonstrate the significance of this day.

Despite the cold and rain, many Peorians turned out to watch the downtown parade. I have to say, it is my favorite parade of the year. There were at least a dozen marching bands and nothing warms my heart more than watching Kids in a marching band. All the hours they spend in practice is time they aren't out cooking up trouble. Marching bands=good! There was an entry and a Parade Marshall representing 6 U.S. wars. To the best of my recollection they were WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraq and the War on Terror.

The memorial service at the WWII Memorial after the parade was particularly moving. Despite the cold there was a respectable crowd and although the kids didn't necessarily understand the words, they definately understood the reverance and importance of the occassion.

You'll have to take my word that I had a lot of GREAT photos to share that somehow got lost when I synced my phone with the computer. Shit happens. Technology - it is definately a love/hate thing with me.

No comments: