Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Teachable Moment

The daughter loves to wear dresses, but she rarely wears them to school because of gym, playground and group time.

This morning, however, she had a yen to wear one to school. She picked out a pretty floral print with a loose flowing skirt.

I warned "Keep your skirt down and make sure you cover yourself up when you sit down".

Later, on the way home from school she announced she never wanted to wear a dress to school again.

Me: "Why not, honey?"

The daughter: "Because the boys kept trying to look up my dress".

Me: "I warned you sweetie, and that will never change. It's up to you to make sure that doesn't happen. No one should ever be allowed to see under your dress, except some day your husband".

The daughter: "Why would he want to then, Mommie?"

Me: "Hmmm, I wonder what the flavor of the day is at Culvers?"

Will I ever learn when to keep my big mouth shut? On second thought, please don't answer that.

2 comments:

i do not know me said...

Sounds like this was a learning opportunity for both of you! Dresses are just not practical for everyday wear.

Mary Jo Z said...

LOL..... after meeting her, I can just SEE the conversation! What a hoot!!